Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Cottage 2009

Our trip up north was filled with much anxiety for me. I wasn't sure how the long car ride would go. That was the first time we drove with Eli for more than an hour. I was nervous about the "fussy times" in the paper-thin-walled cottage. I was scared about spiders, flies and mosquito's attacking Eli. I was worried it would rain the whole time and we wouldn't even get to go outside. I knew my moods may be an issue-as I wasn't going to be able to swim or fish or do the things I wanted to do (I'm still getting used to being a mom in that way!). I was concerned about going out to dinner with the whole bunch because of timing/breastfeeding Eli. I was worried about using the water up there to wash his precious skin/hair etc.
But....It was amazing. It is like every other year-it worked out!
The first night it took over an hour for us to get our meal at the restaurant and I ended up in the car feeding Eli while everyone else ate. Meanwhile, it was 2 hours past bedtime for my sister's boys and they hadn't even ate dinner. Everyone kept their cool.

Eli finally got to meet his awesome Aunt Sarah who held him in new positions and who spent some time with him at ease. She probably didn't know it, but I wanted her to see her little sister be a mom and not have any big issues. Elijah also got to meet some other special men in his life-Charley and Henry. I loved to hear Charley come up to me and say things such as "I love baby Eli" or "I think Baby Eli needs to eat". And good ol' Hank-he would point at Eli and say "Baby?" while raising his eyebrows. I know my sister had anxieties over the week (nap time, meal time, bed time)-and YES she had her hands full. Looking back, I hardly did anything to help her out-but watched her do her magic and make it through-with only a few threats of going home early. I could NEVER do it without Andy like she does without Ed. What a mom! Grandma Barb was soooo helpful and let us have our first "outing"-for me- a boat ride with Andy and Grandpa Bob while they fished for an hour. All the while, my cell phone was in my hand-gripping it, waiting for a text that said "Eli is screaming, come right back in" but instead got a text from Aunt Sarah saying "Eli and grandma are both sleeping. So are my boys". My dad got some really good smiles from Eli near the end of the week. It is official-Eli started smiling while in Conover, Wisconsin!
All our meals worked out well--even though my mom and I both got crabby during the "prep" of our own personal meal. Andy was calm, cool and collected the whole time (of course). We had to leave earlier than everyone else, which gave my sister the back bedroom for a few nights. I got a text and voicemail from her saying she missed Andy-that he kept things rolling and the drinks full. We played Hearts, Monopoly and Hide and Seek (with Charley), read books, chatted and enjoyed a bon fire and hot bag during a spur of the moment birthday party. Andy went fishing with my dad multiple times which also gave him some time away from Eli.
So maybe I didn't get to fish, maybe I didn't even swim or stick my feet in the water this year. I didn't enjoy too many cocktails, I had to leave dinner early to feed eli and I certainly didn't get a tan. BUT...I did get to bring my little man up to my special place, got to sleep in the back bedroom (and Henry napped there!), got to read almost an entire book, enjoy the company of many family and friends and got to sleep in the back seat with Eli (he was a total trooper in the car)!
I'm sad it's over for the year-it will be so different next year. Eli may be walking and bubbling more verbally. He'll be getting into everything, he'll recognize people and may even get in the water! What else will be different? Or could be different? There will be a new addition to the Kendrick family and who knows...maybe our family too ;) wink Sarah--let's start talking about who gets the back room now if that is in the works!!! (No that's not an announcement or hint-just a joke about how FULL our cottage could be-and of course we'd make it work and be so excited). Until next year.............................................

http://widget-4a.slide.com/widgets/slideticker.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" quality="high" scale="noscale" salign="l" wmode="transparent" flashvars="cy=bb&il=1&channel=3026418949618875466&site=widget-4a.slide.com" style="width:400px;height:320px" name="flashticker" align="middle">

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Great pictures! makes me miss our family trip even more, stupid EPIC :)

Sarah Wroblewski said...

Deep thoughts! True thoughts! You guys did an amazing job up there. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing you both in action - you were natural and pros already! Keep enjoying every challenge that comes your way -- living life as a family of three (or four - sorry Bailee).

Shelley, DJ, and Nolan said...

Raina- I loved reading about your trip up north. It's great that you were able to bring Eli to a place that means so much to you! It's also nice to hear that other moms stress about the same traveling issues as I do! (napping, eating....)