Saturday, January 21, 2012

The days are long.....but the years are short.

I could say the days are long but the weeks are short instead of years....as right now I can't even think about a year.
Today was one of those days-my patience was thin and my frustrations very thick.

I don't know why this happened because I started out my day with some total relaxation.  What is total relaxation? A prenatal massage at a really nice spa.  Too nice for me maybe? 

But...everyone who has kids has these toys that they really wish their child didn't have.  Usually it's the toy the kid frequently gets obsessed with and wants to play with at all the wrong times.  Can't they "feel"or sense the frustration before they actually take it out? I feel this way about one specific puzzle Eli tries to do.  It doesn't lie flat and is probably a little to advanced for Eli.  But it has Thomas on it.  So Eli thinks it's perfect for him (even though he has many other Thomas puzzles).  Eli wants to put it together on the carpet or on the couch-any surface that is not conducive for a puzzle like this to stay together on.  This started the wave of frustrations.

And all day I kept shaking my head. Telling myself that it wasn't fair to be annoyed or frustrated. And then I'd try to picture what would happen and how I would handle it if there was a crying baby in the background.  I need to take a step back and remember these are the last few days/weeks of just 1 child. 

Andy has a tendency to get frustrated with things that are technically age appropriate for Eli.  For example, Eli is 2 years old and likes to play with his food and eat slowly.  This annoys Andy like no other.  Tonight I was at the sink and Eli was sitting in his high chair.  He spilled milk all over his tray and because I wasn't watching (And Andy also wasn't) when we looked at him, he was basically finger painting with the milk.  Andy got mad and said loud "Eli STOP screwing around!".  I hate when Andy uses this phrase around kids.  I just don't want it repeated and I wish he would say "Stop playing around".  But it pops out of his mouth.  So I shake my head at the sink.  And then Andy says "Dear, I can see you" and Eli says "What is Dear doing?" ha.  It made me smile and giggle.  He can still bring it out, even in the thickest of frustrations. 



Today:

For Eli: He went out for breakfast with Daddy.  He had a lot of playing time with puzzles, blocks and trains.  He also got a haircut AND got to go sledding.  Oh yeah-and we moved a bookshelf into his room and let him look at a lot of new books.  Oh yeah...and hung some new wooden and painted trains and cars on his walls.  (It's easy to do a lot of things for this lil man).

For Andy: Blizzard from DQ
For Baby: Washed all the little 4 oz bottles and nipples-also organized cupboards to fit the bottles and breast feeding containers in.


For me:  A prenatal massage and a nap.

1 comment:

Lynne said...

HOLY COW you have a lot of bottles! lol i have been working with about 7-8... only 3-4 of which i really like.
and you must know that i was laughing out loud at your description of eli spilling his milk and the frustration between you and andy. i'm sure it wasn't funny then, but it made me chukle how you wrote about it :)