Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Sunshine



The first song on my blog holds a special place in my heart.  "You Are My Sunshine" is a song I sang over and over and over to this tiny little man when he was first born.  I have a TERRIBLE voice (trust me).  But I wanted him to know me, by scent, sound and comfort.  It took me a while to get up the guts.  I knew the nurses and doctors could all hear me. I knew the other babies could hear me.  But heck, their mom's weren't always there and maybe they needed a little comfort while they fought to get well.

I sang this when Eli was sleeping, crying, nursing and when he was confused about what was happening ( new iv's in the arm/hand or foot, taking temperatures, changing sticky pads for checking heart rate and blood oxygen levels, blood draws for labs, glucose or bood counts, car seat tests, new medicines and physical exams by medical students, doctors, nurses, residents etc).

 The version I really like is by Johnny Bregar. You can hear it HERE (I dare you to listen and not fall in love).  But I couldn't get it on my player so I think the version on my blog is acceptable too. 
I hope E-bugs loved it as much as I loved it.

I'll never forget how brave Eli was.  Never.

4 comments:

Sarah Wroblewski said...

He was such brave boy. But even more was how brave his mama was. Becaues, though Eli was brave he was also loved and didn't know what was going on and YOU, my amazing sister, had your world rocked to the core and you were so brave and grew up so fast in front of me. As I rock my little easy peasy peapod of a little girl I just think of all the worries and stress you had at the start. And then I have to laugh about what a little Thomas the Train loving, blueberry popping, busy boy throwing kiddo that little E-bug has grown into. CAN NOT wait for the cottage this year when our three boys can get down and dirty together.

Peggy, Lily and Connor said...

your little boy is so loved. so very loved. he will never know how much or understand it fully until he is much older, but he is sooo special to so many. our lives are all better because of him. you took such great care of him during that difficult time..just like you still do today. both you and andy are the bravest ones.
pw

Nora said...

What a sweet post. I remember those early days with Eli and how brave you and Andy were. I was just blown away. It is just wonderful now to see how much he has grown and what a healthy, happy, beautiful little boy you have. And I also love that song :)

Anonymous said...

I'll never forget how brave you and Andy were and how helpless everyone around you that loved you felt.
Colleen