Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Links my sister loves...

About once a week my sister posts links on her blog that she loves.  Have you ever checked them out?  For some reason, I don't trust her.  I doubt that they are that good.  So I usually click on them-to prove her wrong.  But I am wrong.  And every time I enjoy the link-I get something out of it.  They usually are written by amazing women about a concept that I can connect with but could never put on paper (or in this case, type on a blog).

Last week she posted here that connected to a link about Ugly Truths.  The author wrote a short blurb about these and then listed 3 of her ugly truths. All of her readers were then invited to "comment" or participate in leaving their 3 ugly truths.  It was amazing. I read all of them. Some I nodded at. Some I shook my head no with a smile on my face.  I couldn't believe how many were similar, yet others were different and some were from readers who bared their soul.  It was so interesting to read the comments and think if I had that same ugly truth or not.  It made me wonder about the people whose lives I am jealous of, knowing that truthfully nobody gets away without a few ugly truths. The post also makes sure to point out that we are trying to find some beauty in our truths.  I am attempting to be more positive, so below is my positive spin on my ugly truth.  With my REAL ugly truth below it.  Now are you really getting to know me?

Fun fact:  We got a new sectional (couch), stove/range and dishwasher to make our house more of a home.
The Ugly Truth: They delivered the wrong couch, we had to hire a plumber for the dishwasher and there was no gas valve behind the stove like most-so I had a total panic attack (literally I took Eli to sit in the car) as Andy attempted to figure out the gas situation.  I don't think I have ever gotten so mad and worried in my life. I thought the house was going to explode.  

Fun fact:  I am completely gluten free.
The Ugly Truth: I'm still in denial and don't believe I have this disease.  I wonder if my cancer patients feel this way-that they don't really have a disease but still treat it.  Sometimes I wish I hadn't told people that I have it  because I can't stand feeling like people have to worry or get annoyed with me when I come where there will be food served.   Plus, food just isn't as important to some as it is to me-therefore I don't feel as if people truly understand MY issue with having this disease. I'd rather pretend I don't have it. I smile and laugh over it when I really am emotional.
Fun fact: I have the BEST husband in the world. I truly feel blessed that I found him and get to keep him.  It is one of the few things in my life that fits 100%.
The Ugly Truth: I feel like my husband does more than me around the house, as a parent and as a companion.  I feel guilty every day. 

Fun fact: I have a secure job and many different interests/hobbies.
The Ugly Truth: I waste all my time worrying about doing the right thing, the safe thing, that I don't spend nearly enough time doing my hobbies or getting real tasks done.

Fun fact: We have 2 bathrooms!  Nice...guests can use the one downstairs and I can leave my pajamas from the night before in the one upstairs.
The Ugly Truth:  Really-I am so slobbish-I hardly ever wipe out the dripped makeup or toothpaste from the sink unless a guest will come up for a shower.  HOW GROSS. 

Fun fact: I have a lot of clothes.
The Ugly Truth: I hate how they all fit. I haven't gotten my hair cut for 1 year. I don't take care of myself or try hard enough to feel attractive.  I'm a frump.  I need to work harder at this.

Fun fact: I have a lot of friends who have young kids or babies. It's so fun for play dates and to bond over discussing mom-isms.
The Ugly Truth: I do not judge other parents on their tactics. I firmly believe in parents doing whatever works for them.  It actually gives me ideas and I learn from them. But I feel judged by so many even though nobody has said anything to my face.

Hmmm...am I airing all my dirty laundry to you? Join in if you want.....but don't if it makes you feel anxious.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oooh this is a good one :) I read all the ones you were talking about and some of them totally made me laugh ("you're supposed to change the sheets?"). I tried coming up with things to join the fun, but it's hard to put yourself out there in a real way. I admire you for doing that! Here's one, though:

Fun Fact: I used to be called a "runner."
The Ugly Truth: I'm a running impostor. I have run a handful of times since November and can barely do 3 miles these days. I hate feeling lazy, but make excuse after excuse not to do it. I think about doing another marathon, but don't know if I'll ever find the inner strength again. This makes me sad and will one day make me fat! Gotta get moving...

Jessica said...

I like this idea. I'll have to think about this one and post it. Maybe then you'll see I'm not super mom after all so maybe I should get my mouth shut:) JG