Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Shelby Farms Park

Have you heard of this place?
If you haven't been to one of Tennessee's neatest parks, let me introduce you to it.
Shelby Farms Woodland Discovery Park

On the website it is described as: Six play "nests," a winding steel arbor planted with flowering vines + willow trees, innovative play structures, an open grassy lawn, giant net + tree house climbing structure, ADA play elements, features for every age and ability level + more. (And it's totally free!)

And it's true. Not a stretch.  Although my pictures don't do it justice my eyes were wide, and I was wowed.  This place was amazing.  In order to get in to the play structure area you have to drive through this winding, amazing and beautiful farm land.  Because it was the middle of the summer it was (too) scorching hot and there weren't that many kids there.  We brought some water but for 25 people the 6 bottles didn't last long.  We were all sweating because it was so hot.  I was able to look past how wet from sweat I was because the park was so brilliant.  But did I mention it was hot?  If the weather had been more mild I think we could have stayed for hours upon hours.  It seemed like we all just got to touch and try each part of the playground.  Kids of all ages would, could and do spend hours here.  It's a different spin on your traditional park.





The kids AND adults had a good time.



Eli tried to be spider man for the first time.








So far I haven't found anyplace like this close to home.  Andy reminded me that with the difference in temperatures there, that park is used closer to year round than any parks here.  Here is the website  http://www.shelbyfarmspark.org/woodlanddiscoveryplayground
Make sure to check it out if you are in the Memphis area.


2 comments:

Barb said...

Amazing place and I love all the photos, especially the great one of Roeder grandparents. Too bad it was so hot, but many smiles on e dry one anyway.

Sarah Wroblewski said...

Looks like heaven for everyone. They just need to add a sprinkler island