To my some of my old favorite foods I'm saying:
Good bye!
You've been good to me!
I love you!
You are so awesome....I wish we were still close.
I will miss you.
I might cry over you.
I might drool over you.
I will try hard to find a replacement for you.
You'll never be forgotten.
You're the best....even if you were a food I only ate 1 time a year.
Some of these foods are considered favorites and indulgences-meaning I ate them at social gatherings, out for birthdays, on rainy/snowy-stay-at-home nights or over the holidays. Some are things that I ate more frequently. After making this list I realized most of these foods are not that healthy. So it may be ok to let go of them.
I do know that most of the foods on the list have a gluten-free option. (I KNOW THIS!) And if it doesn't now, it soon will. I have been reminded that gluten free bread, pizza crust and muffins are doable. I have also been given ideas to do lettuce wraps and corn tortillas for enchiladas etc. I appreciate all these (continued) suggestions. But still, in my heart, in my mouth, on my tongue....from my taste buds to yours--these gluten free options will NEVER taste the same (although I know I will get over it). And because this is not a personal choice, I feel it necessary to give them a formal good-bye. They deserve it. I deserve it.
No more....
Pretzels
Bread, wheat, pita bread, sub bread, crusty bread, hogie buns
Garlic bread
LIFE cereal
Homemade Rice Krispy Bars
Homemade Chex Party Mix (evidentally some worchestershire sauce is questionable and I'd need gf pretzels and no wheat chex!)
Grandma Schneider Skinny pancakes
Aunt Ellie's Fancy fast chicken
Aunt Virginia's Stuffing casserole
My mom's lasagna
stuffing on thanksgiving
My mother in law's pizza crust
quiche (crust :( )
All Pizza
Cheese-it's
Fishy crackers (only because I like to share with Eli, I don't really like these!)
Breadsticks
White cupcakes-my all time favorite birthday treat
Frozen eggo waffles
wraps
A "burger" (The bun is not allowed)
A "hot dog" at the game (bun not allowed)
Egg salad sandwich-oooh I love you on bread but can still enjoy you on a cracker or gf bread
Corned beef sandwich on rye
A hot pretzel (at the game)
A white (non-filled) long john
Bagel-goodbye bagel sandwiches
English muffin
Fish fry-hello baked fish
Taco seasoning
Stir fry sauces
Crackers-of all shapes and forms
Gravy/sauces
Soups from restaurants
Salad dressings
Pesto over pasta
Spaghetti (I have always made this at least 1 x week)
Party potatoes (goodbye crunchy top)
Chicken alfredo
Mrs grass soup
Crackers or noodles with my chili
Chocolate chip cookie/oreos and ALL Christmas cookies
Oreo cookies mixed in my icecream
twix bars and kit kats
ahhh macaroni and cheese
Red Licorice
any type of club sandwich on toast
Quesadillas
Cheetos (only at the cottage)
French fries at restaurants (unless they have a fryer for just that)
soy sauce and teryiaki
Miller lite
Andy's laughing at me. Sorry Sarah-but I will miss egg salad on GOOD bread! It's on the list. Bear with me. I may be self-absorbed right now as we wait for Eli's blood test results to return. I'm on edge. But I'm gluten free!!!
Oh and just for all you optimists who are annoyed with me & my list: HELLO quinoa, rice pasta, gluten free Udi's bread, fruits, vegetables, yoplait yogurt, home-made baked gf bread and pizza crust, jose's chips and salsa, m&m's, rice and potatoes.
Soon I will be adding a link to my blog where I can blog for myself (for myself...ahhh) to my hearts content about being gluten free and having Celiac's disease. Then I won't bore you with post after post about what's going on in that 1 area of my/our lives.
I hope there was at least 1 food on that list that you tipped your head and were able to agree "yes, I would want to say goodbye to you too". Did I miss anything?
| See the little pink thing between the 2 left slots? |
| That's MY side! |
6 comments:
LOVE this post! Good for you!!!!! Made me giggle reading Cheetos at the cottage....hahahaha
Colleen
I almost cried reading this one. Will there ever be a pill for celiac's? YOU GO GIRL!
Great post!!! Hope it was therapeutic. JG
hope this helps...i agree that the food, but mostly YOU, deserved this post...this goodbye!
really. i really really agree.
the things that hit me hard (mostly because i didn't think of them before now) were:
french fries at restaurants
fish fry
egg salad on GOOD bread
CRUSTY bread
love your toaster. you'll have to make sure you remind houseguests of this!!
i'm one of your cheerleaders...and also a guest at your pity party, friend!
pw
i love you RR- you're one tough chica. i'm not sure i could do it, but i guess i'd have to, like you have to. wowza's. hang in there!!
I love the His and Her toaster. Great idea! And I have to admit, I felt a serious pang when you mentioned Cheez-its ;) Also, are Rice Krispies not gluten-free? Or perhaps there's gluten in the marshmallows?
Post a Comment