A blessing is when your child sleeps.
Don't get me wrong-I love all the lay-on-the-floor play, the chasing, the kid songs and character voices. I cherish moments when he tries the sit and spin, learns new words, draws with crayons or asks for a snack. I know I am blessed for all of this.
But when he sleeps....I am also blessed.
Eli was not a great sleeper in his 1st year of life. His naps were never over an hour and he nursed until he was 9 months+ so he never slept longer than 2- 3 hour chunks. My sister often would remind me as I trudged through my 8-10 hour work day that he would not sleep so poorly for his whole life. That lack of sleep I was experiencing was only a "small part of his long long life". That was one of the only things that really helped me-was to know that he wouldn't be a poor sleeper until he was 18. By the time he was 8 I expected him to be sleeping 8 hour chunks. I COULD survive until he was 8-I could if I had to. Luckily I didn't have to wait until he was 18 or 8. He is 18 months old. He sleeps 12-13 hours at night (wowowow!) and takes 1 nap that is anywhere from 2-3 hours long.
The best part is that he GOES to sleep well. Our routine holds us all together and I love it. I cherish it. It is one of the many favorite moments of my day. I love to click off the bed side lamp after reading books and just rock with him in my lap. Those 5 minutes of rocking I get to experience a silent and tranquil Eli. He doesn't squirm. He doesn't try to talk or play. He sits on my laps and rubs his Teddy by his ear and rocks with me. Usually I talk quietly to him-telling him all the amazing things he did that day, how special he is to me and what excitement is to come the next day. After this I turn him around, give him a hug and a kiss (or 10) and lay him down. He doesn't usually make a peep after that.
That's the blessing. Andy and I are no longer looking at each other in disbelief-wondering what the heck is going on up there or if he needs his nuk, or is he's cold, bored, not tired, sick, teething, pooping etc etc etc.
I am recording this, blogging this, sharing this-so that I can look back someday. Hopefully we'll have a #2 (although currently there is NO #2-I'm not lying Jessica!) and I will need to remind myself that it ends-it stops-they are quiet-they sleep.
And it never fails- that's when the missing-him starts.
Good luck Sarah-the next few months may be sleepless for you. I will try to remind you that it won't last forever! Hope you get a GREAT sleeper.
2 comments:
Haha! The all knowing big sister is about to embark on the sleep deprived lifestyle yet again. I just said to Ed tonight - man this is nice to just put the boys to bed and know they won't wake until morning. I am not ready to go back to the every two hours. But then our friend pointed out that they only wake to eat..most of the time...and it is at most only a year of their life that it is really hard...oh man, I hope I have a good sleeper. And if I don't...I need my sister to remind me of all my wise thoughts. haha!
That is the one part I am nervous about! Both Joey and I love to sleep and have a hard time functioning if we don't have it. Praying we handle it ok!
Post a Comment