Whenever I eat asparagus with my mom she tells me that Grandma Schneider never wasted any part of any type of food. Everything went into some recipe. She then goes on to tell me that she would try to use the ends of the asparagus to make a soup but "Bob" (Aka Grandpa Bob) wouldn't eat it. She told me this so many times that I finally took it as a challenge. I had been afraid to put a lot of work into a big pot of soup that wouldn't turn out but everyone in our house gobbles asparagus. I used the ends that I cut off. They seemed so stiff and woody. I was worried it would taste bitter. But it was awesome. This is the recipe I chose.
1/4 cup butter
1 onion, chopped
3 stalks of celery chopped
3 tablespoons flour (I used gluten free)
4 cups water
1 (10.5 oz) can chicken broth (Vegetarians could use vegetable broth)
4 tbsp chicken bouillon (I didn't have this, so I used a bouillon cube or 2, vegetable bouillon is option)
1 potato, peeled and diced
1 lb of chopped asparagus
3/4 cup half and half (I always use skim milk in my cream soups)
1 tbsp soy sauce (I use gluten free)
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp white pepper (I didn't have this and I didn't use anything to replace)
Melt butter or margarine in a heavy cooking pot. Add onions and chopped celery; saute until tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in flour, mixing well. Cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly. Do not burn, or let it go lumpy. Add water, chicken broth, and chicken soup base; stir until smooth. Bring to a boil. Add diced potatoes and chopped asparagus. Reduce heat, and simmer for about 20 minutes
Puree soup in food processor or blender. Pour back in pot.
Stir in half and half cream, soy sauce, and black and white pepper. Bring soup just to boil. Adjust seasonings to taste. Serve hot. (Taken from allrecipes.com)
Yum. I was so glad I had leftovers for lunch the next day. We will be making this again.
2 comments:
I am bound and determined to try this again! Thanks rain, and sorry I told you more than once how dad wouldn't mine.
Yum. Love the reference to grandma schnooksie
Post a Comment