We have literally gone from this:
To this (please ignore that Eli is practicing trick or treating in the background)
And all of this in just a matter of a few days. Any second this kiddo will be physically and literally on the move. And although the name of my blog is titled "Moving on"-I'm deathly afraid of this next stage. I don't want to move on. We were all perfectly peaceful sitting still. Right Hugh? Now comes the stage where he knows he can get to things and he will only want the inappropriate things-like cords, tiny toys and all the sharp knives we have laying on the over our house (obviously just kidding).
This morning when Eli woke up I was still sleepy and so I asked him to tell me a story. He looked around the bedroom and said "Once on (aka upon) a time there was a shirt. And it looked around and it got a hanger. And it hid in the drawer. The end".
When I opened the shades Eli said "The world is beautiful out there". Love this kid.
He thrives on "circle time" or a little learning activity each day. Usually I don't even plan ahead, I just teach him something and then we complete a related project or game. I recently learned it is much easier to do circle time before doing any mama activities (aka emptying dishwasher, paying bills etc). If I try to get my stuff done first, he literally stands at my knee and whines for my attention. But if I give him the attention first, I can (sometimes) get him involved in an activity long enough that I can get my things done.
Eli has a new freckle on his cheek.
I had the dreaded task of a big grocery shop yesterday. I love to grocery shop but it is becoming increasingly hard with Eli. He wants to help and touch everything but this results in broken open yogurt containers and bruised fruit etc. He also wants to talk to me all the time and I can't focus on my list or what is on the shelves. Yesterday I tried a new tactic. This one I'm not entirely proud of but I trust you guys will understand. I packed a bag of "stuff"-you know-little toys with a box of raisins and a surprise. The surprise was a big ol' tootsie pop. No...not a small little dum-dum sucker that would have lasted only through the cereal aisle. I gave Eli that tootsie pop and put him in the front of those ridiculous kid-driver carts. He was quiet. I even got 2 compliments about how quiet my kids were. I made sure to turn that cart at an angle that those old ladies didn't see the 3 year old was quiet due to a sucker. So yeah...I'm sure that people in the store would judge me for a big sucker in my 3 year old's quiet mouth. But that is the key. He was quiet. Which allowed me to get through that store in record time, allowing less people to have time to judge me. Ha!
We had some rain yesterday and this is where Bailee decided to sit and shake.
I'm hoping for some hot apple cider this weekend. Maybe some family photos outside if the weather holds out. A visit from some special relatives. Football. Split pea soup. Long naps????
Happy Weekending.
1 comment:
That little Hughie is looking so big!!
Post a Comment