Thursday, October 18, 2012

Candle Light Shout Outs

Tonight I lit a candle and put it on the dinner table. 
Eli asked 4 times during dinner why the candle was lit.  I told him "it's just something that mama's do in the fall".  I thought that was reason enough. 

I put both boys to bed tonight.  The candle was still burning after Eli was down.  But it had been blown out by a responsible Andy while I nursed Hughie to sleep.  My dream was crushed.  I wanted to blog by candlelight.  The ambiance was going to put me in the mood to blog something amazing. 

Instead...I'm on the couch watching baseball with Andy by my side.  No candle light. No inspiration.

Today Hughie sat on me and grabbed at my face. Clawed at any part of my face that moved.  If I blinked, he swatted at my eye. If I giggled he grabbed at my lips.  If my nose flared when I laughed he tried to hold onto my nose.  It was special and I was lucky enough to walk away without a bleeding "owie".


The above picture is my favorite image of the day. I dream dream dream of the day that the boys can read and get lost in a story on their own.  Eli enjoys "reading" to Hughie but he doesn't often page through books by himself. He loves to sit next to me and read book after book after book.  I have a hard time sticking to my guns when I say "one more".   I am trying to introduce Hughie to books, but unless he can fit it in his mouth, he won't sit on my lap and look...yet.  (By the way, I was trying to be secretive and take this picture without the boys noticing, because Eli has a real fake/cheesy grin these days....but Hughie turned and smirked!)





Eli had a great day today.  He is still definitely getting over croup or a virus or whatever bug he has.  He can't talk well and is more tired.  But he still had enough energy to help make banana muffins, make a huge train track in the basement and play "kick" or better known as "Hiiii-ya".  He loved to lick the "beat" as he called it.  I love this boy---he uses the words delicious, beautiful and important. 

So....my shout outs tonight come to you, directly from my heart-despite no candle.

Thinking of you--
JG-I think of you every 15 minutes, wondering if boy or girl, boy? girl? boy! girl!  Hoping to get a text that you are having contractions. eeeeeee!
PW-hope you survived your travels
TH-sorry you had to "fight" naps today....cheers to a better day tomorrow
KK-You are SUCH an awesome lady.  Special prayers go out for you tonight.  You have always been there for me in every which way possible and I wish that last night I had been walking RIGHT next to you, holding your hand.
SW-thanks for attempting to be the COOLEST person in the world. can't wait to find out what you find out ;) winnnnk
LD-wondering how your week with the new day care is going?


I spend a lot of time thinking of my friends and family. Wondering about them, thinking of their hard stuff.  Wishing I had more time to spend with them all. Hoping they know how special they are to me.  The above list does not include everyone that I thought about today but just who I wanted to give a direct shout out to for today. 
I also spend a lot of time thinking about how fast little Hughie's life has gone.  He is less baby-ish every single day.  I know you are saying "Come onnnnn Raina".  I know I know.  He's not even sleeping through the night!  And he's not even crawling.  If you asked me right now, I'd say "yes please", I would like another Eli and another Hugh. No wait...another Eli or another Hugh.  Ask me again in about 2-6 months when I can't keep up with H. I love babies. I love the baby stage.  And I can't imagine being a woman and not going through this process again.  Now...to convince Andy. 

On that note...I want to leave you with a smile.
This picture-taken months ago- before Hughie's hair really grew in.
Tough Guy printed boldly on his onesie, while having no choice but to wear the brown boots his mama put him in (poor guy-not so tough I guess). 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Raina! Hope you don't mind I read your blog (found link through Sarah's old blog site) but I love your blog too and can relate to so many things you say and just decided to comment today. =) My little Jimmy is 2 months older than Hugh and he scratches and grabs my face too (and made me bleed a few weeks ago from sharp nails). Also, I know how you feel about our babies getting older. I look at Jimmy and see him growing every day and it is SO hard thinking he is probably the last (because 4 is a lot of work right now!). Have a great night! Jamie Trampe

Peggy, Lily and Connor said...

thanks for the shout out! i did make it..and am so happy to be back at home in my little routine!
i think of you often too...this week, i'm especially thinking of elijah casey. hoping that little boy gets to come to the party on saturday!!
try the candle again. and again. until it works out the way you'd like. :)
pw

Lynne said...

RAINA! thanks for the shout out! new daycare is going BETTER still. i'm more relaxed. tylin seems comfortable there. i still have to get on them about this or that but i'm doing nice things too lol and i'm thinking of you as i made little pumpkin bags of goodies for next wednesday for the staff :) my computer at home sucks and i need a new one, so i'm never on it much anymore. i realized it has been almost a month since i read your blogs... so here i am at work since a client didn't show up, catching up on all your blogs. and i LOVE them. I LOVE reading about your boys and all the fun stuff you are doing. making me smile on all of them, but i didn't have time to comment on them all. i think of you often- we'll talk more soon i'm sure!