Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Dream Job

If you know me fairly well, you know that I have a dream job.
I hypothesize that most people do.  You are SO lucky if you are currently doing it.

However, if you know that I have a dream job you most likely do not know what it is. 

This past weekend on the trip, the gals had a discussion about dream jobs.  I had left to attend a wedding by the time they had this talk, which is probably fair since I would have kept my lips sealed.

The thing about me is that I will not share what my dream job is.  There may be 2 people in this world who know what it is.  My main reason for not sharing is that I keep it close to my heart and I can be easily influenced by comments.  When I say influenced I mean judged.  I very easily feel judged.  I want this dream job, but I don't want help with it.  I don't want encouragement or suggestions (i.e. this could help, attend this conference or take this class, start here, try this, I know this person who could talk to you about it, etc).  I am a private person and this is part of me that I keep a secret.

That being said, I do have some other dream jobs.  "Other" dream jobs are ones that I wish I could try for a week just to see if I enjoy it.   Going into these "other" jobs I would like to have the skill set to full participate and not feel like the new girl or trainee. I need to go full throttle as if I've been there for 5 years.  I would like 5-10 days of opportunity and then I could choose to move on or stay put for a while.  Here is a list of these "other" dream jobs-which may (or may not) help you to narrow down your guesses of the one true dream job.

1. I would love to work in a test kitchen: Testing recipes and products.  I feel I have lost this opportunity as I cannot taste regular recipes anymore with celiac disease. Tasting and adjusting recipes would be essential in this role.
2. Food critic
3. Mail carrier
4. Swim instructor
5. kindergarten teacher
6. Activity Director (for kids) on cruise ship or at resort
7. Front Desk/secretary work (I know weird right?)
8. Librarian
9. Photographer
10. Employee at Humane Society
11. Speech Therapist

So...what do you think? What are some of your dream jobs? Are there any that you truly are chasing? Are there any that you'd like to try for 1-2 weeks at a time? 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

So is this a dream dream job (ie an international spy) or a somewhat realistic dream job (ie a movie critic)? Sounds maybe like the latter since you think people will encourage you. Is this something you think you will pursue at one point or another in your life?
T

Anonymous said...

bringing dogs to nursing homes and hospitals and doing pet therapy.
Colleen

Anonymous said...

You are more than welcome to come to kindergarten and check it out for a day! We love visitors in kindergarten! I love your "other dream jobs" If I could be one, I would totally be a Disney Princess. I think it would be a sweet gig.

Hope all is well with you!

Erin

Barb said...

I always wanted to work at a really nice car wash, and towel dry the cars at the end.

Anonymous said...

This is so interesting to read Raina! And it makes me so- curious about your real dream job. My not-so-realistic at- this -point-job would be to own a coffee shop that also sells books!
Shelley