But I am disappointed that our weekend was so blah. We didn't really do anything Memorial Day-ish. We didn't get a chance to teach Eli anything about the meaning of the Holiday because we didn't go to a parade, or hang out with friends or see any heroes. We should have talked about it instead. But it just didn't work out that way.
Andy wore his Super Dad Cape all weekend while I tried to get over a flu bug. Or food poisoning. Or maybe I was glutinized. Either way-I was in bed all weekend. I was physically drained and probably dehydrated. I was up all night sick as sick can be. It was miserable and awful.
Thoughts I had today...
I'm on the mend. Hip hip hooray.
I'm glad Andy got out to golf, but man those 5 hours of me alone with both boys was physically taxing.
Both boys got baths tonight. Even if we didn't do anything all weekend, boys still get dirty. Eli did go to the park, play in the sandbox, in a little pool, the sprinkler, the grass and the mud. I can't count how many ants he smooshed with his fingers.
| The neighbor asked if we were going to ever start feeding this boy. Let me tell you how I've tried. He has access to all the food in our house...getting him to indulge-that's another story. |
| This boy on the other hand...he is eating just fine. I never knew shoulders could get pudgy. |
I got locked in a stairwell at work today. Don't ask why, just know that it is because it's a holiday. I didn't have a phone or anything. I literally started sweating and staring at the emergency button on the wall. I knocked hard and pounded on a door until FINALLY a patient (poor guy-just comin' for chemo as if that wasn't enough) opened the door to a frantic me. I hope I thanked him enough. Now I don't know what to do...take the stairs or the elevator...both of them make my heart race.
There is nothing consistent or constant about Hughie's bedtime. It's completely unpredictable. I don't know when or how he'll go down. And I dont' know when he'll wake up. The only thing predictable about his sleep is that it is unpredictable. We are definitely working on routine, but last night he was up for over a 2 hour chunk. With me being up sick one night this weekend I feel exhausted. I'm not sure why I stress about figuring out his sleep and bedtime. It's not likely that we will figure it out-since we still struggle with bedtime for our almost 3 (gulp) year old. Last night we had to change the sheets because Hughie spit up all over his. When we opened the closet door (at 2 am mind you) Eli started yelling "My ears hurt. My ear". Evidently the noise of the closet spooked him awake and he heard it-meaning his ears hurt. Sometimes the nights are enough to....well I don't know. But it's inevitable...you make it through and move on to the next day.
Andy and I had a discussion about what our boys would be when they grow up. It's SO interesting to me to think about where they will live, with who and what they will do for hobbies and careers. I can only hope they grow up to be decent, nice men and find a job that is exciting but not too stressful for them. I hope they don't live too close (like in our basement) and not too far away that we can't hop in the car at a moments notice. The choices they have are theirs and I already know it will tug at my heart strings.
We've had some storms and Eli is now aware of thunder. I love to see his reaction because I know when I was little I was scared of it. We've also had our share of beautiful days. Eli loves his backyard and his bubbles. I'm constantly on the lookout for new outside toys. But I can't help but try to capture this boys joy when he runs in the backyard.
| See his "bad guy" face? |
| Love the happy cheeks in this one |
So as my sister always says, the days are long....
But the years (and months even!) are short. Scary to keep movin' on....but no other choice.
2 comments:
i don't know why, but the naked diaper pics of hugh and hugh with big brother E...are like so cute i could eat them up! like sooooooo special and cute and sweet! he looks different to me in those pics, too. Not sure why?
love eli running..he dances through the air..i can just picture it!
and the pic of the toy tornado that went through your living room makes us all breathe a little easier, knowing it's not just our house!!
pw
Iknow it was a tough weekend for you being sick and Hughie not sleeping top notch but it sounds like E-man got to do lots of fun things at home and as a kid, sometimes that is what is the best. We didn't do anything for Memorial Day either and we weren't dealing with any of the things you were. haha. Sometimes it takes being sick to slow down and it will make you appreciate the next great night of sleep and busy weekend that much more...right? haha. Hope he sleeps like a charmer tonight. Maybe he needs to have a little chat with his Aunt Sarah on facetime soon. Geez. it has been forever!
Post a Comment