1. Other blogs: I could spend Oh....maybe 5 hours looking at blogs. I specifically like the ones my sister introduces me to. I don't have a lot of time to peruse the Internet so it helps to have her suggest. But I enjoy reading other things going on in people's lives because maybe it is something I have been or will be going through. This helps me reflect.
2. Flowers on the table: Today when Andy came home from work I was nursing Eli and putting him down for a late in the day nap. When I came down I started chatting with Andy and he interrupted and said "You didn't even notice!". I immediately looked at his hair, his clothes etc. Nothing was new. I spun around fast and looked at the dining room table. Pink roses and other mixed flowers. Score 10 points for Andy. AND JUST BECAUSE.
3. A compliment from a patient: I think most readers of my blog know that I am a dietitian. Without getting into too much detail, one of the many things I do daily is diet education. One diet I hate instructing on (and you'll laugh Greg) is diabetes. But I do it. Last week I had a patient who needed some tips, reminders and teaching (as he had other issues than just poor blood sugar control). When he got up to leave with his wife he said to me "You know, you can walk away from a dietitian pretty confused. I have in the past. But you put it really simple for me. Thank you so much" and then he squeezed my hand! Made my day!!!
4. The Olympics: I enjoy watching the games. I get into it-all the competition and celebration. I know that if it was on every year, it wouldn't be as special as it is being only so often. Go USA!
5. One good laugh each day: Tonight I went to check on Eli after he screamed himself to sleep for 20 minutes. He was laying on his tummy-I could tell that. But 2 nights ago he threw up on his tummy in his crib so I wanted to make sure there wasn't any vomit surrounding his face (haha I know-CRAZY mom). I stared trying to let my eyes adjust to the dark. Then I took my pointer finger and swept it across the sheet in front of his face. (Are you laughing yet?) When I did that he pushed up on his arms with his head and squeaked a bit. It was as if he was watching me do it and was mad I was bothering him. I was SO nervous he would wake up fully that I crouched down on the floor so that if he turned his head he wouldn't be able to see me. (Now are you laughing? If you're a mom you probably are because you know you've done something as ridiculous as this at one point or another). So there I sat....crouched on the floor, trying not to move, not to breathe, not to make the floor creak. Ha. Then I snuck out and laughed all the way down the stairs. Oh by the way-I didn't feel any vomit!
6. Last but not least-----this last week I realized there are certain words that just trigger a response in me. Maybe in #5 the word vomit makes you cringe. For other people they hate the word "moist" etc. This last week I realized that the word "Smack" makes me laugh. As in "I wanted to smack him/her" (and this was NOT used in the context of a child!!!! That isn't funny) but from a grown up...that makes me laugh. What word triggers a response in you?
4 comments:
I can so relate to the crouching on the floor! I have definitely done that...once I crouched so he wouldn't see me and just decided to nap on the floor for a while so I didn't risk waking him when I left before he was in deep slumber. Fun being a mom :)
I have crouched too!
Love when you do Grace in Small Things.
I think it's hilarious that we ALL have done this--the crouching! I just did it the other night! Easily have done it more than 10 times. Funny thing is, that whenever I go in to "check" on her, jason rolls his eyes and crosses his arms and says "you better not wake her up!!"
pw
Flowers on the table for no reason - wow! What a pick-me-up! Hey Raina - did you know that moms have eyes in the backs of their heads? It's a fact! So crouch or no crouch - Eli will have his mama's eyes upon him from everywhere.
Post a Comment