Friday, September 28, 2012

Friday Fill

Where have I been?  I just can't keep up.  Life is escaping me.  Or maybe just my blogging has been put to the way side.

My mom always said that I started every letter the same way and so today I will start my "Friday Fill" post just as always-straight from the heart:

Dear Readers,
How are you?
I am fine.


I'm so glad it's Friday.  We have a fun weekend coming up.  I have morning (breakfast) bookclub with some friends and a birthday party on Sunday for a verrrrry special 4 year old.  We got her a surprise for the gift and I doubt that she'll know if it's a fun gift or not when she opens it.  This little birthday gal also happens to be my god daughter so I got her something that I can continue to "add" to at special occasions and holidays. It requires me to write a special letter to her explaining why I have chosen this specific gift for her.  I am having a hard time sitting down to write it. You know how that super special stuff is.  Emotional.

A rare moment where I got to read a story to my goddaughter on the deck.
 Hugh's second tooth popped through this past week.  I hope the reason of his poor sleep is all due to teeth. That would be a good enough excuse for me.  Last night he woke up and cried for long spurts at 11:30, 3:30 and 6 am.  Hard it was and tired are we.  This morning when I picked him up his ear was all bloody and it spread on the side of his face and head.  What a poor baby. No wonder he was crying. (Nothing is wrong with his ears, they must itch or hurt because of his teeth-he keeps poking in there and has open sores in his ears). 




Eli is getting sooooo smart. He says the most clever things.  It blows me away and scares me.  He is trying to be very helpful around the house.  He's still loving his train tracks and legos and art projects and "ninja guys" (or just the idea) and the A-pad and and and. This boy loves almost anything.  He does not respond well to positive or negative reinforcement. He is stubborn but smart about it.  He also loves his little brother.  It is so fun to hear him talk to hughie.  He actually is telling him something, such as "Hugh, this is the magnet that goes on the refrigerator" or "Hugh you can't play with this yet but when you get big like me you will share with me".  They make each other laugh.  Blessed.



Plase ignore all the "Stuff" in the background and on the floor.  My life is cluttered.

It's getting colder outside so we have been soaking in the last of the park outings and time spent in the back yard.  Eli is getting really independent in the park and this makes me happy but nervous.  I'm sure his dad lets him climb and be more adventurous than his cautious mom does. 
You want to know what else has been keeping me busy?
Picture this:
6:45 am-groggy Raina (have you seen me like this?)
Running on the treadmill. Sweating. Crying. Trying to control sobs. 
Ok -stop picturing this.  It's ugly.
I've been watching the show "Parenthood" while I run, per my sisters recommendation. I heard that a lot of people like this show and it has replaced my "Brothers and Sisters" obsession that I used to have.  The music that the editors or producers allow to be played in the background of this hits-home drama should be outlawed for people like me on a treadmill. The music starts, the emotion is there-and I just start crying.  Great show.  Helps me run a little longer. But yeah...I am a sight to be seen.

Other little things:

Andy and I are signing up for a 5K (10K for andy) in a few weeks.

It's my first year partaking in Fantasy Football.  I'm doing alright.  I just wish it was easier to pay attention to the games.  Life is busy and full of responsibilities. 

My brother got a dog and I can't wait to meet cute Fox.  It's been fun to hear all about the transition of being a puppy owner.  It wasn't that long ago that I was a new dog owner and I had no clue what I was doing. 



So...just a Friday fill for you-a few pictures and a few updates.


 Andy stood in for Uncle Chris at Adelia's baptism. Special.



 Eli thrives from doing projects and art projects.



Eli takes a picture!


Add caption
 What do I need from you?


1. Easy recipe ideas: on my 10 hour days I am struggling to have supper planned and made. I need to plan ahead and I need some ideas.

2. Ideas for being more environmentally aware-want to be more green but we need to be time savvy and also can't spend a ton on expensive "products".

3. Circle time ideas: Eli loves doing circle time with me so we try to do a learning activity every day. We need more ideas for crafts, songs, and concepts that a 3+ year old would be interested in.

Happy Weekend!



4 comments:

Peggy, Lily and Connor said...

recipes-
1.spag squash with sauteed veg
2.bubble up pizza (premade biscuits cut up and topped with toppings. kid friendly.
3. chili -traditional or white chicken
4. tator tot casserole
5. bbq chicken grilled
6. chicken caesar salad
green ideas-
-use vinear mixture for cleaning counters etc.
-recycle every single piece of paper/cardboard that comes in your house
-cloth napkins
-do not buy paper towels
-pull cords for appliances and lamps that are not used very often
-paperless bills
-buy small composter
-rain barrel
-bring cans and bottles home if you are somewhere without a recyle bin when you are done drinking a beverage
Circle Time:
-Manners
-Handwashing
-Apples/johnny appleseed
-Clouds
-Leaves from different trees and what they do, parts of leaves
-birds/flying south for winter
-Shapes-finding shapes around your house/world
pw

Anonymous said...

Besides vinegar another good cleaner is baking powder mixed with water. It has a nice scrubbing power. I use 50/50 vinegar/water for windows and mirrors and then baking powder for the stove top. Still use bleach for sink because I'm just paranoid about that:) We love our composter bought in online and have a rain barrel now too. Great investments. JG

Unknown said...

All great ideas already up above! Don't forget about the laundry detergent I posted about. It really works great, is super cheap and takes less than 5 minutes to make. Oh and how about cloth diapers?! :)
T

For the Love of Naps - Sarah said...

cloth napkins, reusable shopping bags, washclothes instead of papertowel. I use the vinegar and water too. thinking about trying baking soda as a shampoo..it is supposed to be good for you and I raina...worth a try. buying food in bulk instead of small prepackaged snack things. HAnging clothes on a clothes line...