I just worked 9 days straight. All of them over 8+ hours. Some 10 hours. Wait-one was only 4 hours but then I came home and did work from home for about an hour. I'm exhausted. Last night I hosted book club and when it was over my heels were burning.
Now I get 2 days off in a row. It's my weekend. And I'm ecstatic. Seriously. My mood is lighter, lifted, looser. I feel like my soul is being polished. Revitalizing. And it's only 8:30 am.
I told some people "I'll be in bed tomorrow until I'm bored". And here I am, piano music playing, facebook checked, an "everything" gluten free bagel in the toaster (my very first and so excited!) and it's only 8:30. I'm not asking for much when I want to sleep in. Anything past 7 am folks. Who woulda thunk it?
I've felt some guilt sending Eli to day care while I'm home because I do want to spend some extra time with him. But again, I need this for my soul. So when he gets home I can truly enjoy those moments with him, without wishing I could sit in the quiet bathroom and stare at the wall. And I need to put my feet up. And I really need (want) to get some things done around here.
One of my co-workers who also worked the weekend and is enjoying the day off-put it great. She told her husband that she doesn't want the tv on. She just wants to turn off the light and sit in the quiet dark. The environment we work in is very loud-there are alarms all day long, doors slamming, nurses calling out, phones ringing, pagers beeping and then most of all-needy people utilizing us all day. Some days we walk away feeling like we helped 20 people, sometimes more. A lot of days we struggle to feel like we truly helped 1 person. So when we get home, to the place and people we love-all we want to do is to enjoy it and feel the energy to move on from the day and let ourselves slide into "family life". But sometimes it's a hard transition. It's easy to be selfish and want 10 minutes to change out of work clothes and put your hair in a pony tail when you get home without someone pulling on your pant leg, barking to go outside or asking whats for dinner (aka welcome to the first 5 minutes of home life!). I'm not complaining. It's what I think a LOT of folks feel when they get home-no matter what they do for a living: teachers, bankers, customer service reps, human resources, gym trainers, presidents of the united states maybe?
Either way...here I am with my day before me. I can decide to go lay down. Clean up clothes around our bedroom. Work on Amazon Christmas list etc.
For me today:
Lunch at Eli's Day Care (A surprise for him)
A park play date when he comes home!
Something NEW for dinner?
Buy some cheap Halloween Decorations-Eli is so excited!
A smile because I blogged already this am?
Start my new book club book! eeeeeee
Organize Eli's 2 year old pictures (order more) and send some out?
Take a nap.
Think about the baby-a lot!
Laundry-do it and fold it.
Sort through Eli's clothes
Tomorrow-the maternity store. the gluten free store? sleeping in? more of all of this.....maybe lunch with someone special (LB or Andy?)
I'm smiling all over today.
Just a picture for today......
3 comments:
Good for you!!! I hope that you are able to ENJOY every minute of your 2 days off with whatever you decide to do with it!! And don't feel guilty about brnging Eli to daycare, it is his routine and what he is used to, so why change it!! And mostly you deserve some RAINA time, so enjoy!!
Proud of you for taking your moment.
I am so jealous.
I miss the opportunity for the transition from work environment to home. Home was home. work was work. These days...it is just a blur that gets overwhelming. And so lucky that you have a place where Eli loves and didn't even get sad when you left after lunch. Life is good.
Enjoy your Thursday!
Happy to hear you are taking time for yourself and getting a much needed break! Fun to hear all the things you are hoping to accomplish during your time away from work. Hope it all went well--since this is a few days late!
Post a Comment