Sunday, October 31, 2010

Boo!

Last year Eli was a soft, fluffy, cuddly reindeer.  He sat in the bouncy seat at the door watching the trick or treaters come and go.  This year he was the perfect skeleton!
I'm not a fan of Halloween.  I have never even walked through a haunted house because they creep me out.  As I said in an earlier post-I never dressed up in college to celebrate even though almost all of my friends did.  As a kid I felt weird trick or treating.  But after this year I have developed a crush on Halloween.




Andy, Eli and I spent the day at my parents house.  Eli napped through the beginning of the trick or treat frenzy while we watched the Packer game.  After he woke up and "Suited up" we ventured out.  I had it in my mind that we he would survive about 3 houses.  I think he actually made it to about 15!  I fell in love with trick or treating as my cute, lovable skeleton traveled from house to house carrying his blue "bumba" (pumpkin).  He often threw his pumpkin or dropped it to pet a dog or pick up a leaf.  But he did get a lot of others to smile as he stole their hearts. One little fella who was just ahead of us at some of the houses turned to Andy and I and said "I like your son!"-my favorite moment of the day.
I also found out that my mom enjoys Halloween much more than I knew.  I didn't realize that she enjoyed taking us trick or treating or that she got a thrill out of handing out the candy.  She actually counts the number of kids that come by and this year 131!
When we were done with trick or treating we sorted the candy.  Eli can't eat most of it, as it is either a choking hazard or has nuts or peanut butter. Darn!  I guess Andy and I will have to take care of it.

We left a bowl of candy outside of our house since we weren't there during "meet and treat".  I hung a sign that said "Boo! We see you. Please take 1. Happy Halloween.".  Last year we had tons of candy leftover so on the way home Andy and I discussed if we thought that there would be any left, or if any little boys (I assumed only boys would do this) took handfuls instead of just 1.  The bowl was empty!  Probably a good thing as we should watch our waistlines before the other big eating holidays arrive.

Happy Halloween to everyone out there trick or treating in the dark.  What will next year bring?! Boo!

5 comments:

Barb said...

Glad I was part of your day - Grandpa too! The things you learn as you grow up huh?! Yes I love Halloween and always have. Eli had the perfect outfit and I just stood back and took it all in, until the end when I just had to pick him up and have a secret chat. He did awesome! .... and the Packers won too, ahhhhhhhhh.

gschneider said...

Oh man does he look so cute!

For the Love of Naps - Sarah said...

So fun! I wish we lived closer so we could see you too on this holiday!

He looked cute! So fun when they can start to enjoy the holiday festivities!

Lynne said...

elija looked sooo cute :) glad you took lots of pictures! i got to enjoy handing out candy to the trick or treaters this year from my new home, so that was fun :) glad you enjoyed it all!

Colleen said...

I would fall in love with Halloween too, if I was walking around with that cutie pie. Love that he makes so many people smile as he goes through his day. Very special.