Monday, September 13, 2010

30

1. Traveled to Vegas with my mom and sister
2. Met, kissed, married, trusted, lived with and loved Andrew Roeder
3. Read so many good books
4. Played soccer for as long as my body would hold out
5. Lived in the yellow Vortex
6. Let it all hang out on my 21st birthday
7. Gave Gerk as many hugs as I could, whenever I could before she moved away
8. Applied and got the job
9. Saved a little money whenever I could
10. Had a baby boy and named him Elijah
11. Traveled to New Mexico with my family, just my sister and just Colleen
12. Learned how to play roulette
13. Asked for advice when I needed it
14. Went on 2 all inclusive trips with Andy
15. Got my ears pierced
16. Bought my blue Santa Fe 167-ADY
17. Danced to so many songs at so many weddings
18. Babysat those Shea kids
19. Cuddled with Bailee night after night
20. Took the leap and became a home owner
21. Brought Eli to the cottage (2 years in a row now!)
22. Played the violin, (lil bit of) piano and trombone-learned to read music
23. Listened to the music before seeing the play (Phantom, Joseph, Chicago etc) or read the book before the movie
24. Took things seriously at important times. Let myself worry enough to be prepared. Memorized the memories. Laughed at the past. Learned from the past. Tried to change the future. Attempted to live in the present.
25. Learned to cook a turkey from my mom (but never learned to iron)
26. Went fishing and learned to take a fish off the hook from my dad
27. Took so many pictures
28. Spent a weekend with my grandma by myself helping her put up her Christmas tree
29. Believed in Santa Clause for MANY MANY years
30. Started a blog

I turned 30 yesterday. It was probably a bigger deal in my heart and mind than some thought. Above is a list of 30 things I'm glad I have done in my lifetime!
As Tim McGraw would say...
My next thirty years I’m gonna settle all the scores
Cry a little less, laugh a little more
Find a world of happiness without the hate and fear
Figure out just what I’m doing here
In my next thirty years

Oh my next thirty years, I’m gonna watch my weight
Eat a few more salads and not stay up so late
Drink a little lemonade and not so many beers
Maybe I’ll remember my next thirty years

My next thirty years will be the best years of my life
Raise a little family and be a FUN wife (I changed the lyrics here... sorry Tim!)
Spend precious moments with the ones that I hold dear
Make up for lost time here ,In my next thirty years

We didn't have a big party which was by my request. I know Andy would have done whatever he could to make this day a big deal but that is not what I wanted at all. Andy made the day/weekend special for me. I got cards, flowers, cake and cupcakes. I drank some wine (not my lemonade), took some naps, had a visit from my parents and some good ol' cheese, read my book, played with Elijah and also got breakfast in bed.

I'm in my 30's now. I still feel like I'm 23. That's a good thing right? So I got a lot of comments about turning 30. Below are a few.
"You got a lot of years left. A lot of life to live yet".
"You are a young pup".
"Isn't it fun to turn 30 first?".
"30 wasn't hard for me. 33 did me in."
etc etc etc
Below are some things (not 30) that I want to do in my next 30 years.
-Live with less regret-read more good books-travel more-plan less-go with the flow more-spend more time with my parents and Andy's parents-sit on the sidelines and cheer my heart out for my kids-run a 1/2 marathon-appreciate that I have clothes and learn to love how they fit-save more money but spend without guilt-visit my Grandpa-write more real letters-order more pictures-slow down and give Eli more of me-cook from scratch-learn to knit or crochet-and because Andy supports me so much and why the heck not...chase my dream job!

6 comments:

Lynne said...

i always love reading your blog- so creative and from the heart. sure do miss you lots! sounds like you're doin' good though. HUGS! and for real in 3 weeks :)

Barb said...

OK........this one made me cry.

For the Love of Naps - Sarah said...

Great reflections and great goals to work towards! 30 is the new 20! Such a full life!

Anonymous said...

good for you!! so proud of my 30 year old friend! glad the "picnic" lunch and flowers and cupcakes helped you to celebrate the special day!
so happy to have met you in my first 30 years!!
pw

Anonymous said...

ABSOLUTELY fantastic, Raina. I had thought about doing this when I turned 30...but never did. I am proud of you for doing it, and so grateful to have the chance to read it!!!!!! Miss you!
Colleen

Ross Family said...

Awesome post Rain!! Loved reading it because you have done so much and have made so many incredible memories in your first 30 years, I can't begin to imagine what your next 30+ will hold for you! Very blessed to have you as my older but wiser friend! Love you and miss you tons!