Thursday, October 1, 2009

My day off


10/1/09

Dear Elijah,

Last Sunday I worked an 8 hour day...yes on a weekend. I did that for you!! I wanted a full day with YOU to myself during the week. So today is that day. Today I got to wake up to your smiling face and not feel stressed about getting all the baby gear, you, daddy and me out the door. I'm still in my pajamas. I enjoyed my bagel (with dairy free cream cheese) and a diet coke (yee-haw!) and have already sifted through this weeks mail and tossed the junk mail. It's only 7:40 and guess what? I've already had my MOMENT I was hoping for. Unbelievable how you cooperate and give me that moment.
You were looking tired. So I took you out of your bouncy seat, put in your nook, put some little mitties on your hands (brr...it's getting fall-ish out) and held you in my arms. I sat down in a chair. A non-rocking chair even. You sat still and stared at me with your beautiful little baby-boy-blue eyes and fell asleep. No squirming, crying, fussing...just a whole lot of cuddle with a big (easy) drift off to dreamland. It was literally only 3 minutes of cuddle time and you were asleep. You DO love mommy!!! I almost cried. How can I go to work and miss these moments? I'm guessing if that happened every day-I would stop considering it "The Moment" and it would be the norm. I would (maybe) stop appreciating it. I have to look at it this way-because it was so special to me that I don't know how I will drag myself out the door tomorrow.
New things about you-you are starting to coo a lot! I can't believe how much you babble. Last night Dad and I talked about how all of a sudden you'll be pulling yourself up on the coffee table and walking around it. WOW. We hope the days at work go fast for us and the moments at home go slow until then-no rush for you to be a mover and a shaker. Instead of 8 poopy diapers a day you now only have 1 or 2! You went to your first friend birthday party and slept the majority of the time in your swaddle blanket with your Wisconsin Badger hat on. You ate 6 oz in one sitting!!! You can sit in the bumbo chair pretty darn good. You are wearing 3 month clothes now (a little big but yeah!!). You are definitely in the double digits for weight. You love your little toy that lights up and plays music and you're not so excited about the snuggle puppy rattle anymore. You like to face out instead of in when we carry you-you want to see the world! You kick a lot in the bath tub but remain serious faced. You silent laugh a lot and that makes dad and me soooo happy.
Take you're time growing up little man. We can't believe all the things you are doing, and it's always -all of a sudden! Even though we are excited for every inch of growth and every new accomplishment we also miss those moments where you would fall asleep with your mouth open in any position without a squirm and all your littleness that is now becoming oh so chubby (and yummy!). Every new phase is a transition for you and we are excited for the newness with you (we are so proud) but we want to keep cherishing every little thing about you. You are so special to us. A miracle....with brown hair that won't sit down, blue eyes that squint when you smile, a smile that melts our hearts, and feet that kick like the natural soccer player we know you'll be (haha sorry Andy!).
Ok, I have to end this now Eli, because I need to enjoy the rest of my day with you.
Love you,
Mommy
ps here are some new pictures of you!

4 comments:

Barb said...

When I look hard at that last picture sitting on top of the Brewer t-shirt - I see Andy in his face - do you guys? Great blog Raina, enjoy your day off.

Peggy said...

agreed grandma barb!!
can't wait to get my hands on the little man today!! and also all the chatting that the mommies will do!!

Anonymous said...

I hate that I can't read your blog at work!!!!! But, I do love the pictures! Hope you're enjoying your day!
Colleen

Colleen said...

Finally got to read your blog. Made me tear up---oh the joys of hormones. Love that you had a full non-stress day with Eli. You're a great mom, Raina!
Colleen