Last night was the worst. It was almost as if he was bucking the system. He was mad that we took him to a specialist. We got a glimpse of the future. This is how I imagine a teenager would react.
-Don't try to figure me out. Just let me do my thing. IIIIIIII'llllll do it.
Uh-uh little boy. We need to figure this out. This mama needs her sleep.
But last night was really stressful.
After a 5 page sleep/eating/lifestyle questionnaire and much interviewing from the doctor, we found out that everything appears normal. I went right to work after the appointment and when I came home exhausted he decided to wake every 5 minutes for at least two hours. I know you think I'm exaggerating. I'm not. Sometimes he would cry for 30 seconds, sometimes it lasted 10 minutes, therefore I don't think it was a full 24 wakings in 2 hours but very very close.
It pullllled at my heartstrings. But it caused my teeth to grit grit grit. There wasn't a whole lot of poking or prodding at the appointment so there couldn't be any new pain. Was he over tired? Is he still teething? Were his jammies pulling in a funny spot? Did he lose his nuk? Was his tummy bothering him?
It wasn't much different than (every) previous night. It was just worse. Instead of every 20-45 minutes, it was every 5 minutes. I listened with a glistening glass of wine in my hand. But I could not relax.
I reminded myself of what the specialist said. This is normal. We all wake up 6-8 times a night. However we all know how to self soothe and turn over comfortably. They even informed us that it's normal for him to wake up 9 times in the first 3 hours (which is what we came up with when we tracked his waking periods the other night). Therefore last night Andy and I were supposed to feel normal after 15-24 wakings in 2 hours. Right? I tried to remind myself of all the things that the doctor said-she thought we were such a nice, normal couple. She actually told us that! Compared to other families they see-we are doing alllll the right things. We didn't get a single suggestion. Just confirmation that this is what we will live with for the time being.
It's always good to walk away with a clean bill of health. I won't overlook that. I was relieved that there wasn't any extra testing ordered --because I've been through all that with big brother and I don't want to find anything else out. It is what it is. So watch out world-be prepared that sleep deprivation for this mama---may last a while longer. Can I make it through the holidays where we will share a room with this little zombie for multiple nights in a row? I wonder if I could be a better mama to big brother, a better wife, a better employee, friend, daughter, sister and Raina if I had a few weeks of uninterrupted sleep.
Please, please, please don't give up on me. Hold tight. I'll be back. The me that you know-she's still in there. He'll be there too-well rested and smiling (and probably a full mouthful of teeth to go along with it). I long for that day that I wake up and look at the clock and smile realizing I slept a good few hours in a row. All I want for Christmas is.....8 hours of sleep. In a row. For 8 days in a row!
7 comments:
I think you are still a great mom, friend, etc. I appreciate your daily support, if there is anything I can ever do for you please don't be afraid to ask.
huh. what does your gut tell you about Hugh's sleep? do you think he is okay? if not, then think about getting a second opinion. set up a video camera in his room to show the dr rather than having to rely on your description. i don't know. you know best. i understand not wanting to search for something wrong that isn't there but i also know that we know our kids and if something doesn't feel right continue to be that advocate for you, Hugh, and your bed.
i can't imagine. i just can't even hardly imagine not having a solid night sleep in 9 long months. i'm sorry.
;(
Colleen
i have to agree, a whole nights sleep without interruption would be GREAT!! and i totally feel bad for you. it's sooo annoying that they won't sleep through the night. i complain about Tylin's bad nights, but i shouldn't, it's nothing compared to your no-sleeping!! ugh. hang in there. he won't be up all night waking you up FOREVER. even though it seems like it right now! HUGS friend
Aw, so sorry to hear you guys are having such rough nights with no solution. If there's anything we can do to make the holidays easier, just say so. Maybe Hughie gets his own room and we camp out in the living room with Eli? We're seriously happy to do it!
Can't wait to see you guys no matter how sleepy you are when you get there.
So hard to function without sleep. I can relate Oscar was closer to 15 months before he started sleeping through the night. Thankfully he now sleeps through the night but he has me trained well. I wake up every night around 3 am. I'm hoping I'll break that habit soon.
Good luck Raina! Lack of sleep is the worst. I remember when I was expecting Eliot, I worried more about losing sleep then I did about labor! (hahaha) Hang in there!
You amaze me. You are rocking this no sleep thing and I wish every night that it is better for your house. One of these days. Maybe a visit to Aunt SArah's!
Post a Comment