Thursday, January 28, 2010

What's Next?

Last night the internet in the Roeder household was on the fritz. I went to bed frustrated and in a rage. Checking my e-mail and chatting with my mom and my sister are my little joys in life. I couldn't imagine enjoying my day off (today) without the internet. Andy can't understand it. He couldn't say the right thing last night either. I turned the computer off when I went to bed hoping the rest would let it revitalize and reboot in the morning. But it didn't work that way. Instead I asked Andy to help me move the computer into the living room so I could re-connect to the cabel modem box (or whatever) beacuse we had been trying to use the wireless router in order to keep the computer in the other room. Andy probably wanted to enjoy 10 minutes with Eli before leaving for work-but oh no. He had to listen to his demanding wife (yes me!) ask for an extension cord, and not that one! That one won't work because the cord has 3 prongs-duh! I had to call my sister to ask her husband some questions. I texted my brother. I called Netgear (wireless box) and I called Time Warner Cable. Eli ate the bill while I talked to someone with a thick accent. My sister told me to call the Geek Squad. GOOD IDEA. I hung up with her-oh my gosh-HOW DO I GET THE PHONE NUMBER WITHOUT THE INTERNET? I pounced around the house contemplating calling her back to get the number. I can't use the yellow pages. No way. Finally I got it working-after much much much stress and turmoil. And I hardly used the internet today-but it was there when I needed it.

But how the heck did I live without the internet? When I was in college I didn't have a cell phone. How did I survive without a cell phone? I don't think I could make it through college without one now. I have 2 friends who dno't have cell phones. AMAZING. We currently don't have a GPS either and so far we are surviving without it. That's because we have Mapquest (Which is usually wrong). But after xmas our computer went on the REAL fritz and it was in "the shop" for a week. Luckily we didn't need to go anywhere that we needed directions for becausae we never would have made it. I'm guessing in about 10 years I will not be able to understand how we got by without it.

But then I think...how could life be THAT different in 10 years. What ELSE could change? What other things will I wish I had enough money to buy? The only thing I can think is that most cars will probably come with a lap top and internet installed in the passenger side dashboard.

What do you live without?
What do you WISH you had the money for? (I could start my list here: a lap top, a GPS, T-vo or DVR, Wii, internet on my cell phone, a better digital camera etc etc).
What do you think will be different in 10 years?

4 comments:

For the Love of Naps - Sarah said...

The change in technology that I can't imagine living without is a digital camera....I can still remember turning in film and hoping that at least one picture turned out. Can you imagine doing that today? It was so exciting though to be handed the envelope...and wondering what was on that roll of film or if anything turned out.

Anonymous said...

extra money would buy me a laptop and a nice fancy digital camera like sarah's! we could use a newer vehicle, too...but nothing fancy!
pw

Colleen said...

Kitchen chairs and a dining room table!

Lynne said...

oh i wish i had money for a lot of things, like a nice house for myself, or a fancy phone! i do find it hard to believe we made it through college without cell phones! but we did!