Everything was all smiles....
Until we realized Daddy was going to cut down (without a plan) the huge beehive we found in our front tree. I don't know how we didn't see this thing until about a week ago, but I'm kind of glad I didn't. Because I have a feeling I wouldn't have left my house all summer unless I had snuck out the back door and climbed over the fence. Regardless-I have no knowledge how to cut this type of thing down and our neighbor who wandered over after informed me that most bees are gone after the first frost. Would have been nice to know as Andy was positioning the ladder to climb up by it.
I suggested putting a plastic bag around it in case he would wake up all the hibernating bees (Shows you how much I paid attention during nature talks). He told me it would be impossible due to the 3 branches that were sticking through the hive. Yikes. He didn't go online, he didn't use any spray, he didn't have on gloves or goggles.
His
life
was
on
the
line.
The little boys rooted him on while I nagged and nagged Andy "Are you sure???". Andy was sure and he ordered me to go get a different saw down in his workroom.
Andy suggested I ask Eli's teacher if any classroom would like this brought in for science day...haha. I bet she says NO! To be honest it is quite cool to look at now that it's empty and sits in our garage-waiting until we figure out what to do with it....toss in the trash for the garbage truck or put on the side of the road with the leaves?

2 comments:
I would most definitely ask his teacher if she / or the school wants it. those things don't come around all that often in such beautiful shape. Put it in a garbage bag and knot it for a few week to let it all die for sure and then bring it in. They should definitely want it. Some science teacher would for sure hang that sucker from their ceiling! I would if I was still in the classroom.
P.S. Really really glad Andy made it out alive!
Post a Comment