When I got married to Andy our grocery budget more than doubled. And now, I can't keep a consistent budget or plan. These boys eat eat eat. Although Eli doesn't eat a lot at one time, I still put it on his plate-just in case he has a good day. And to top it off, now that I am part time, I am feeding the boys breakfast and lunch 3 more times a week than we used to, so keeping enough variety around is important. (I remember a friend pointing out that when you are home with your kids you use so many utensils every day. NOW I get it!!! 3 spoons, 3 forks every meal, sometimes 4 if Andy is home. Don't forget cups and snack cups. Plus I use at least 2 knives at every meals as well to prevent cross contamination).
I know that now that I am gluten free everything is exacerbated. We have two of everything, or so it seems. My bread and noodles are much more expensive. And since we've been married Andy has taken a turn for the better and has learned to eat a wider range of vegetables and fruits, making it easier to stock the crisper drawers. In the last year he has started grabbing fruit or cereal for snacks instead of ice cream or chips and salsa. We also ALL eat yogurt and enjoy different flavors. Andy and Eli love cottage cheese. Andy is obsessed with tortillas. The boys eat eggs for breakfast multiple times a week. I just don't know how to stock the fridge.
So let's forget the budget. That is going to work itself out. It has to. But I'm wondering who goes shopping multiple times a week? And not just for 1 or 2 things but to replenish the fruit and veggie drawer? Who shops 1 time/week or 2 times/week? Do you buy in bulk when it comes to fruit or veggies you go through fast? Are you successful at buying at the right time (i.e. not before a weekend that you will be traveling etc?) Who plans the meals and totally sticks to it? Who tries to stick to it? Who doesn't plan anything and flies by the seat of their pants? I need advice. And I know know know know that I ain't seen nothin' yet. Give it 5 more years and Hughie will be eating triple portions and Eli will be eating 2 bowls of cereal between every meal. Right now when Andy makes homemade pizza he shares it with the boys and has enough to take to work the next day (While I eat my expensive gluten free noodles) but I know that in 5 years Andy will be making 2 pizzas and then 3 when sports and puberty kicks in.
What do you stock a LOT of in your house for your kids? What arse staples? Do you look for deals? From one mom to another.....help a gal out.
4 comments:
What a fun post! I refuse to shop more than once a week bc I'm not taking my kids to the grocery store.
I recently started buying 2 big bunches of bananas but only if there are some green ones. We always have natural applesauce in the fridge and a back up in the cupboard. I get two big bags of apples each week. I buy other fresh fruits that are on sale and we eat those first that week. this week we got mangos (.49 each at Aldi's) and strawberries. Last week was mango and kiwi. For vegetables I get alot of frozen bc I know they will keep through the whole week. Or hardy vegetables like spinach, sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips or cabbage. I plan a weeks worth of dinners before I go to the store and then add some stuff for lunches. Our breakfast staples right now are oatmeal with nuts and brown sugar/cinnamon or eggs or generic cheerios and yogurt smoothies.
I just joined a couponing group on facebook and once in awhile they will have healthy food on there but mostly it's toiletry items. Aldi's has great sales on fruits on Saturdays. I got strawberries 2 saturdays in a row for 99 cents. I buy a whole bunch and freeze most of them for yogurt smoothies for abby and I. I love this topic. EMail 100 questions and I'll answer them all:)
THis is a good post. Something so many of us are always wondering about how to do differently, and something we ALL have to do.
I agree with JG..I buy frozen veg to keep on hand. I can't keep up with the fresh veggies to keep up with my kids. I also serve fruit/veg with every meal. I have a garden in the summer, which helps. I hit farmers markets on saturdays when I can. Both are reasonable, easy ways to feed my clan.
I also buy fruit on sale..and always have apples and bananas. I keep nautural applesauce stocked, too. I buy 3 loafs of whole grain bread at a time and freeze 2..to avoid store trips.
I HAVE a second freezer and it's IMPORTANT!! We depend on it!
Meat..I buy chicken breasts in family size packs when on sale or at sams and seperate and freeze.
Lunches are leftovers, simple things like grilled cheese, mac and cheese, sandwiches. Paired with fruit/veg..it's an easy way to avoid wasting!
I keep pantry stocked always with: beans, diced tomatoes, pastas, brown rice, potatoes, carrots, onion, applesauce, pretzels, 5-8 boxes of cereal, oatmeal.
I shop 2 stores to save money-aldi and pick and save. When woodmans opens nearby, I'll try to combine the shops there instead!
GOOD LUCK with all those boys!!
pw
I grocery shop at least 3 times a week probably. I'm not very organized about our food or meals! Surprised?? :) I'm with peggy and go to the farmers market 1-2 times a week when veggies start to grow around here. I just kjnd of go with what's on sale or what I'm in the mood for or both. Super helpful, I know. Ha
T
I ditto Peggy's post (I'm amazed at how similar our grocery bags and cupboards would be!), except for the farmer's market thing. Haven't gotten my butt in gear to hit one up---plus a lot around my house are in the middle of the week, which makes it hard. grrrr....
I used to shop at Aldi and Walmart, with an occassional Sam's club trip thrown in, once a week and it took me f.o.r.e.v.e.r. I hated it. The last few weeks I've been switching it up to see if I can go to other stores (Trader Joes, Pete's Fresh Market) instead of Walmart. That store just makes me cranky. I still only try to shop once a week. And every week, I dread it..
A few of my friends have recently tried Peapod. I'm intrigued. I saved my receipts from the last few weeks of grocery store trips and will be looking over Peapod's websites to comparison shop.
Also, another friend just signed up for fruit, veggie, and dairy delivery. Gonna look into that too. You can specify the amount and it comes with recipes!
As an aside, I could eat FRUIT all day long. I'm trying to incorporate more veggies. Because of this, I'm buying more fresh ones because it forces me to eat them :)
We have three different types of milk in our fridge. 2% for E. Soy for J. Skim for us. It annoys me.
Colleen
Post a Comment