Monday, February 4, 2013

Top 10

A few weeks ago a friend and I were texting back and forth.  I do that now.  I hate talking on the phone. It's such a time suck to me-I just can't do anything while I'm chatting. But while I'm texting you (yes you) I am able to put the phone down after I finish my thought and go to the bathroom, chop the onion, fold some laundry, change a diaper and anticipate what your response will be. Oh how fun! Ok enough about that....I texted my friend something along the lines of "I'm doing this, this and this. 3 of my favorite things to do".  She responded "Funny, none of those rank with me" (or in other words-those aren't in her top 10).  This made me smile huge.  I like this friend, a lot.  But how could she not like my top 3 things?  In turn, she told me 3 of her favorite things.  And although they were things that I enjoyed, I'm not sure they ranked in my top 10.  So I responded "How are we even friends?".  Hopefully she had as big of a smile as I did.  It was humorous to me.
So it sparked me to think of my top 10 favorite things to do.  5 years ago, these 5 things may have been completely different and in 5 years from now I would also expect the list to change.  You can still be my friend even if these don't rank on your top 10 list.  (Disclaimer: these are top 10 things RAINA likes to do, not raina as a mom, or raina as a wife-those are completely different lists-so don't judge me that these don't all include my family.) Interestingly I feel that I could make a top 10 list for each item on my top 10. 

1. Eat  (Top 10 favorite things to eat, top 10 favorite places to eat)
2. Sleep  (Top 10 places to sleep, Top 10 times of the day to sleep, Top 10 types of sleeping positions)
3. Read (Top 10 types of things to read)
4. Take a bath or hot shower (Top 10 favorite shower accessories)
5. Cook (not bake)   (Top 10 things to cook, Top 10 favorite places to cook)
6. Play games (card or board games)  (Top 10 favorite games to play, Top 10 favorite people to play games with --would you make the list? WINK)
7. Blog and read other blogs  (Top 10 favorite blogs to read, Top 10 favorite blog topics)
8. Watch movies with Andy  (Top 10 favorite movies to watch)
9. Travel  (Top 10 favorite places I've been, will go)
10. Talk with small groups of other gals (i.e. bookclub)   (Top10 topics)

What's on your top 10 list?  Isn't it awesome to have friends that would list an activity such as "Take a walk with a friend"--although it's not on my list, I now can't wait to take a real (non-illegal) walk with her.  And I hope to someday partake in all my family and friends top 10 list activities. 


4 comments:

Unknown said...

This whole blog had me smiling! Loved it! :)
T

Nora said...

Great post Raina! I love that you distinguished between your different personae (apparently I didn't know how to spell the plural of persona, so that's all spell checker). So funny!

Anonymous said...

Liked seeing what your top ten was! I don't always get around to reading and commenting on your blog but I do listen to your playlist every friday while I work---did I text you that? I remember thinking I wanted to text you that, but can't remember if I actually did. Sometimes I think there are way to many ways to communicate with people these days--did I fb her on her wall, or a private message, did I email her at work or at home, did I text here, did I call her, did i leave a comment on her blog. Anyways---you get the point. it's a lot to keep track of ;)
Colleen

Peggy, Lily and Connor said...

it's important to remember who RAINA is. aside from being a mom or wife or friend or whatever. and it's totally ok to take time for yourself (which is not selfish) to be yourself, and rejuvenate.
i like your top 10. ours would, in fact, be different..but like you said..that's the best part of having friends..we are all a mix of this and that and complement and contrast each other beautifully.
pw