Friday, November 11, 2011

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."


~Plato



Recently I read this post on a blog I loosely follow.  Read it. 
Ok are you back?
I occasionally know of a friend who has shared something with me and should be wearing a sign, but instead they put on such a good front.  Sometimes I can only guess that someone should be wearing the sign.   The sign indicating "be gentle with me. somethings going on in my life". 
 
Sometimes it's me who needs to wear the sign.  
 
Ok on to your next reading assignment.  Within that blog post that I linked above, is another one that I actually took the time to read.  Maybe because I was silently wearing a sign that said "Be easy on me today" I knew I really needed to read this other link.  Check it out here.
The story touched me.   
At work patients tell me many, many gruesome details about the struggles they go through.  It is weird how many patients who struggle with their health also need someone to just listen to them open up about other battles going on.  And it may be the littlest thing that they need to vent about.  Sometimes it isn't even the life threatening disease they are dealing with, but the smaller issues that should be solved easily that they want to discuss.    I always do my best to demonstrate empathy and sympathy.  And I hope that they know that I am listening and taking it all in. 
But some days when I have my own garbage going on inside, I want to pull out the sign.  I want it to say "I'm listening. I care. I do.  Now can I tell you what's going on with me?".  It can be a real struggle.  
 
Lately I've been trying to remember that strangers that I don't even have direct contact with are wearing these signs. Going into the holidays and the hustle and bustle, I need to constantly keep reminding myself that others may have their hearts somewhere else while attempting to accomplish something that isn't going easy for them.  Other drivers may be in a hurry because of a real emergency-not because they are just jerks.  Waiting in line may be difficult for many because it is their only chance to stand in line to return an item and they've been on their feet all day.  Someone may have gotten laid off at work.  Others may have found out something about their health.  Maybe they got in reprimanded at work for something they didn' t do.  Maybe they are struggling with relationship issues.  It may not be the same issue that would cause distress for you or me, but it is affecting them.
 
So if you skipped the links above and didn't truly read them-reconsider. It might help remind you not to get annoyed, frustrated or angry with someone.  I know it's one of my goals to remember that EVERYONE is fighting a hard battle.  A different battle than mine or yours. But a battle.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I wanted to post something like this recently. I feel like a lot of our job in health care has nothing to do with physical health. I think it gives us a fresh prespective. How many people have listened to someone list the things they hope they do before they die or what their funeral will look like? I'm glad you posted this. Important to keep in mine.

Anonymous said...

Very well written. That second blog really hit me hard. Our lives are crazy, but we all need to look outside our little boxes and see the world around us. Thanks for sharing.

coc

Barb said...

Very very moving and I didn't notice a sign today except to say (which I did,) that you are a very wise woman.

Anonymous said...

nice reminder
Colleen