Sunday, September 15, 2013

Watch out for Brotherly Love

A few weeks ago Andy and 3 of his brothers played in the Gus Macker 3 vs. 3 basketball tournament.  This was my first opportunity to really watch Andy play basketball as he stopped playing just about the time we started dating.  I was so excited to see him in his element.  His number one love after the boys, me and family is the sport of basketball.  I think it made up his whole world up until his Junior year in college.  And since all of Andy's brothers played basketball back in the day-they joined together to give it a go. 



I'm not sure who created the team, the team name or the shirts.  I did secretly smile at the team name they came up with "Brotherly Love" but let's be honest. These guys DO love each other.  I won't go into much detail about how they did not win didn't do as well as they had hoped but I will defend that they were in the top bracket for men because Andy and one of his brothers played college hoops.  AND the fact that his bro is 6'8".  I guess experience and height put you in the top category.  But they didn't take into account that one Bro is over 40 which makes for tough competition when you are playing 20 year olds.  



I had a hard time focusing because Hugh didn't always want to be in the stroller and Eli just begged for snacks.  Neither boy took the time to see the love, passion or determination in their dad's eyes.  There was loud music playing, cousins around, and hot sun beating down.  And if you know Andy, when he doesn't win-it's tough to talk to him.  And the games were short and fast.  


Watching them play was one of my favorite moments of the year.  They did amazing, despite what the score board said.  (One of their opponents ended up winning the dunk contest at the end of the weekend.)  PLUS a lot of the family came to watch and hoot and holler for these guys. 




 It all made me feel like I could understand what growing up as a Roeder must have been like---spending hours watching game after game (Andy also had 2 nephews and a niece playing in the tournament, often at the same time or overlapping games).








So maybe it's a funny team name for 4 grown men, but if you looked around there was a ton of love bouncing around!  I'm terrible at taking action shots and I'm sad I didn't get a few good ones.  But at least I can use this as a new goal for next summer when (these boys have already decided) they want to compete again next year-together. 




No comments: