Wednesday, December 12, 2012

What's in a mattress?

I've been struggling with some back problems since Hughie was born. They aren't severe but they are bad enough to make me complain and see a doctor. I don't have a real good answer but have been chatting with Andy about if our mattress could be the problem?


(Not our bed)

We have a real old mattress. I'm not going to trace it back because that is embarrassing, so lets just say it is darn old. It is time for a new one. Our bed frame and headboard are fine--it's just the mattress that needs to be replaced.

 A few years ago I remember my brother telling me that he had so much fun buying a mattress. I'll never forget he said "Get a new mattress. It will change your life". Hmmmm....could a new bed change my life?


If you know me, you know I love my sleep.  Naps and bedtime....yes please!  If a new mattress makes these relaxing occasions even better I will be a glass is half full kinda gal!
I need to remember that shopping for a mattress is not like looking at fun bedroom pictures on pintrest...


dreamy.....

I'll take it

Yes please

I laughed out loud picturing Andy getting into this bed!

A nap could last all day in this one.....
Ok enough oogling over other people's style....I need to focus on the mattress.   But here's my question-how do you determine what kind of mattress works for you? I know I've slept on different kinds because some seem soft or hard or sink-in-able. Going to shop for mattresses will be hard to do with the boys, this I know, so if we ever get the chance to leave the boys for an afternoon to go test out mattresses I will need advice. Sitting or even test laying on a mattress will not give me enough info. How do you know which is best for your personality, body shape, sleep patterns etc? I don't want to invest in something that will make my back worse....any advice?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are struggling with the same thing over here. I *might* make you feel better about the age of your mattress by letting you know that our mattress was giving to me 10 years ago from my brother's roommate's late grandparents' house! aaaahhhhhh! It's really old!
I've heard that you really just need to go and lay on a bunch of mattresses and whatever feels right in the store will be right for you. I can't believe it, but that's what everyone whose ever bought a mattress tells me. I also know that some stores let you return it if it doesn't work out. Good Luck! I wish you an afternoon of little boy free mattress testing for Christmas. Ha!
Colleen

Anonymous said...

I hated shopping for a mattress. It was harder than shopping for a car to me because you want it to be perfect. Our's was super old too, I had bought it second hand from a friend of a friend the year after I graduated from college. We listened to a salesman tell us differences and then laid on some. If you get a pillow top you'll need to get new sheets. The regular sheets barely fit and ride up alot. I do love our bed but am always curious if a sleep number bed would really have changed my life like the commercials say. Good luck. If you go on a weekend I could come watch the boys while you two go look. JG

Anonymous said...

Raina:
After my husband's back surgery he wanted to try a sleep number bed. He should sell them, he LOVES it!! He says after a hard day at work and a soar back he goes to bed and wakes up refreshed. I have a pillowtop and love it. (Note Geoff works 3rd shift and I work first so we don't really sleep together!) ~Tracey