Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Birthday


Date: Saturday, June 19th
Time: 11-2
Theme: Dr. Seuss (and fish!)
Menu: Hamburgers, hot dogs, potato salad, coleslaw finger jello (fish and cat in the hat-hats), baked beans, veggies and dip, fruit platter, cowboy caviar, chicken dip, red licorice, homemade chex mix, cake and ice cream.

Eli's first birthday ranks right up there with our wedding. I feel like we threw a good party!

As the guests started arriving Eli was tucked away, nestled in his crib. He took one of his longest naps ever. It was almost as if he knew he needed to be well rested for the festivities.
The weather was awesome. It wasn't too hot but it was a beautiful summer day with a nice (and sometimes gusty) breeze. Our deck was well used and loved. I think we had enough chairs. The fenced in back yard is a total blessing. We were able to let most of the little kids (and there were plenty) run wild and not worry about the cars on the street.
Many guests came to celebrate Elijah's first year of life. So many special people showed up and I'm hopeful that while I ran around being a host that anyone and everyone who wanted to get their hands on the little bugger did. As many as could be expected arrived from Andy's family as well as my whole family. Michigan, Minneapolis, Chicago, and Green Bay were all represented to name a few.
Eli sat in his wooden highchair on the deck with a 3-foot tall red #1 balloon tied to it. He wore his Dr. Seuss onesie which we striped down for cake! It was too windy for a candle but we still honored him with the traditional Happy Birthday song. His cake was a red and white striped fish with bubbles that had his name and age on them. The sand was made out of graham crackers. He started out very guarded but got more adventurous as time went on. He did end up with frosting on his back, in his hair and up his nose. Yes, in his nose. And I loved it. Later he changed into handmade t-shirt with a dragon on it. Thanks Greg and Liz!
The day was great and as travelers packed up and had to leave-I thought about my favorite moments of the day:
-All the comments about the beautiful weather: We really lucked out as it rained HARD the day/night before.
-Charlie Roeder showed Charley Wroblewski how to "scale a fence" and I caught them in the act. Henry stood on the other side and wasn't sure what to do. Ed went over and helped Henry scale the fence.
-We had the gated playpen up on the deck so that a few little ones could play at one time. I wasn't able to catch all the moments but looking back at the pictures I see Eli got to play with lots of friends and cousins.
-I forgot to plan a meal for Eli. At one point one of his babysitters came up and asked "Do you want me to feed Eli?" How could I have forgotten to feed my bug?
-As the party died down, and after many butts had sat on our big wooden swing in the back yard, the 2 skinniest guests (Greg and Liz!!! ha) ended up on the ground. The swing finally broke. They weren't hurt and we used the wood for a fire that night!
-My sister shared her big news that I had been holding in for so long. That was fun for me to hear/watch. Check out her blog if you haven't heard www.fortheloveofnaps.blogspot.com
-Eli "went" to everyone so well. I don't remember him crying a single time at the party.
-Andy's dad held a great water balloon toss. My cousin Emma and her boyfriend Bronce won! But my mom and aunt Pat were in the finals.
-In the middle of the night Eli had a 6 oz bottle and then threw it up all over me and the floor. I guess he had his share of cake and ice cream.

I love you Elijah Casey Roeder you 1 year old you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lots of Eli's loved ones celebrated at your great party, special people, breezes, delicious food and we loved it all, especially seeing Eli enjoy his own little (BIG) moments! Love Grandma B

For the Love of Naps - Sarah said...

It was a great party and we wouldn't have missed it for the world! So much to celebrate...he has come a long way! Happy Birthday Eli...and happy BIRTH day mama!

Ross Family said...

Great post and looks like a very successful party! Wish we could of been there to celebrate!! Glad everything went good! We will just have to celebrate again when we get back to WI for a visit!