Monday, July 2, 2012
The Hard Stuff
Today while I was at work I didn't have much time to do anything except work. Just like most days. But I did think about my big 3 year old boy and his accomplishments. I don't want to speak too soon, but he has officially started the process of potty training. We didn't go anywhere all weekend besides dinner out and a trip to target. After peeing on the kitchen floor, living room carpet and the couch-he started looking up at me with his big blue-gray eyes to say "I'm peeing!" but what he really meant was "I'm holding it. Take me to the potty". He is just adorable about it-good thing I feel that way right now because I'm sure the process will get to me soon enough. Above is his potty report from today at daycare. Is this too much information? To bad for you. I'm a proud mom.
Even though I am not that stressed out about it, I know it will soon land on my list of "hard stuff" I have to do as a parent when we inevitably struggle with potty accidents and set backs. I have a list of "hard stuffs" that I deal with day to day and although I don't share it all-it's there. Some more or less serious than a potty training fiasco. And when I consider my list of "hard stuff" I admit that I still struggle to remember that everyone is going through their own hard stuff.
Today someone got bad news. Someone waited for good news and never got any news.
Today someone won money on a scratch off lottery ticket. Today someone missed their bus which started a chain of events causing them to miss out on some type of opportunity.
Today someone was told they had cancer. That their cancer spread. That they were in remission. That their health is unchanged, a mystery, incurable.
Today someone got a call from a loved one who said "I'm sorry, can we talk?" while someone else got a call that their loved one was in an accident (check out this story-my loved one who got in an accident 1 week before his wedding-we are so lucky he lived to tell the tale). Today someone fell down and someone stood back up with their chin held high. I know someone overcooked thier vegetables, undercooked their casserole and burned the dessert.
Today someone made the team. Someone else dropped out of the race. Today someone was remembered and thought about. Someone else went unnoticed and they will never forget it. Today someone passed their boards. Someone fell off a boat. Someone got married. Someone else lived through their child's first surgery.
Today someone made a speech. Someone made a mistake. Admitted a mistake. Found a mistake. Lost a pet.
Someone lost money. Went bankrupt. Used food stamps for the first time. Today someone got diagnosed with Celiac Disease and tried their first gluten free pasta. Someone had a baby today (Welcome Baby Adelia). Somone else heard their first baby's heartbeat. Someone else lost their first baby, 2nd, or 3rd baby.
Today someone put their child in a big girl bed and couldn't get that lil tyke to sleep. Soemone else watched their youngest child win a trophy. Today someone got engaged and someone else learned they will have ALS, Cystic Fibrosis or HIV for life.
Someone is struggling to put their child up for adoption. Someone else can't get their child to nap, or eat or say please. Today someone found a 20 dollar bill on the ground and spent it right away. Someone else can't get enough money together to make a car payment.
Someone tried a new recipe today and loved it. Someone else couldn't fit in their favorite pair of jeans. Someone burned their hand on the iron. Someone flew into Vegas while somebody else was attending a funeral for a loved one.
There is bucketloads of good in this world. So much joy, little and big. But no matter the "hard stuff" in my life, I HAVE to, have to, have have have to remember that everyone is struggilng with their own things. No matter the big, the small, the beautiful, the ugly-it's happening. Life. I hope that whenever it's possible, whenever I can-I come across as a warm hearted, caring, sensitive person to YOU when your hard stuff takes over.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I love how your "tend to overthink and worry" personality made the nuk and potty training big hard things in your mind probalby leading up to the parenting experience...but Eli Rocked on giving up the nuk and giving up the diaper. Proves that some worrying is a waste of time :)
Post a Comment