Thursday, November 11, 2010

Weekend Get Away

Eli and I took a trip this last weekend.  It went FAST. The car ride went SLOWWWW.  But I have to admit, it was successful.  I challenged myself to a trip without Andy.  I wanted to show myself that I could do it.  The trip to my sisters is well over 5 hours.  Maybe 6 if you make a substantial stop along the way.  We arrived by dinnertime on Friday, which was followed by play time and bath time with the cousins.  It was such a special trip for me, because I was one-on-one with Eli the whole weekend.  I worried about things like if he missed his daddy or his dog, how he would nap in Henry's room, why I hadn't thought to pick up some milk, how he would ride in the car and what I would do with him if I had to go to the bathroom during a pit stop.

We both survived and memories were made.
Here are the highlights:

1. Eli slept for 1 hour of the 6 hour ride on the way there.  He took 2 hour long naps on the way home.
2. I loved looking in my rear view mirror into "Eli's mirror" where I could see him during the trip.  He figured out how to pop up his straw in his cup and got so much joy from it!
3. I got a good game of soccer in with Charley!
4. We took the boys to Home Depot and made spice racks. Ed helped Eli with his.  I made mistakes on Charley's.  Ed fixed Charley's.  My sister was a true pregnant woman and stood in the front of the store eating M&M's.  The boys shared a snack on the floor of home depot.
5. My mom, sister, Ed and I enjoyed some gourmet cupcakes.  We voted on the best ones.  The picture below  shows my pregnant sis indulging!
6. My sister made some GREAT meals. YUM.
7. In case you're wondering, Eli stood and held my hands while I used the bathroom-I just didn't want him touching everything!
8. Eli got to hold hands with Aunt Sarah, Cousin Charley and even Uncle Ed!


























9. Eli LOVED to play in the yard outside.  He enjoyed the slide, peeking at Grandma at the top of the jungle gym, and running under the deck or to other people's yards.
10. When we got close to home I said to Eli "Do you want to go home and see Daddy?" and he patted his chest SO hard to communicate that "YES PLEASE, I want to see Daddy!".  Melted my heart. Andy was equally as excited to see him.
11. I enjoyed a couple glasses of wine which shows how relaxed I was.
12. I just LOVED watching these boys together!
 (No Ed is NOT watching the tv while in charge of all 3 boys even though it looks like it! haha :))
 13. The boys enjoyed a bath together! 



13. Eli slept really well in Henry's crib!
and....and and and and I feel like the moments could keep going.  I'll leave it at that. Below are more pictures captured from the weekend.




6 comments:

Barb said...

A wonderful get-away for you two and I didn't really see any stress involved! Lucky me - I got to enjoy your visit too. You forgot to mention that we played Hearts and if I'm not mistaken, you won!

Sarah Wroblewski said...

It was a great weekend and now that you know you can do it and get here by dinner on Friday....I demand you do it once a month. haha!

Anonymous said...

I love that your list went on and on. I am so PROUD of you for going. Isn't it just so perfect when visits are stress free, everyone is relaxed, things just flow naturally, and you realize when all is said and done you conquered a huge personal challenge? FANTASTIC!!!!
Colleen

Anonymous said...

I love that your list went on and on. I am so PROUD of you for going. Isn't it just so perfect when visits are stress free, everyone is relaxed, things just flow naturally, and you realize when all is said and done you conquered a huge personal challenge? FANTASTIC!!!!
Colleen

Nora said...

It looks like you both had a really great time. Isn't it so fun to blow town once in a while?

Colleen said...

K....can't stop watching the slide show and listening to your playlist. Love it all. Love the picture of all three boys in their pjs on the couch. Frameworthy for sure!