

Tomorrow morning we leave to go up north.
It is my favorite place on earth.
I'm not sure if it's just because we've gone there since before I was born or if it is so special because my whole family is there. Maybe it's the peace/quiet/lake. Or maybe it's that I'm away from the stress of work. It's definitely not a place of glamour or exquisite room and board. I wouldn't even really consider it clean.It is my favorite place on earth.
I look forward to it every year. All year.
Andy is on the couch with a beer right now. We'll leave in the morning but for him, vacation has already begun because the car is all packed. It's overflowing with everything my mind could possible conceive of needing. You can't see out any of the windows. Watch out-the Roeder family is heading north.Some of my most early, vivid and best memories are from this place. Traditions continue, from the drive up, stopping at the same grocery store, to planning meals. I think 100 e-mails flew this last month between my mom, sister and myself. Even quite a few just about what books we would try to read while we enjoyed the breeze, a cold beverage and each other.
Every year was the same but also very different as I grew up from a baby, to a toddler, child, teenager, wife and now mother. I'm still "going to the cottage". And this year I get to bring Elijah and see him explore. Last year he was the tiniest peanut there ever was. I hardly left his side. It was easy having him up there. He ate and slept. This year will be a challenge as he crawls and puts everything in his mouth. But....how lucky am I to be able to bring my son and husband to hang out in my favorite place with my family?

Pretty darn lucky.

3 comments:
And here I am at 1:15 in the morning, awake with a start, looking at our last minute "piles", thinking of what I must put in the cooler, hoping all goes well with everyone's travels, wondering, wondering, wondering....looking forward to every single minute, and the Gernady's visit too! A drink of water and back to bed...we will text on our way up, grocery lists compared, and hoping to all arrive promptly to get 'this vacation started'. Because it will, the minute we arrive!
LUCKY is right. you are LUCKY and blessed and can't WAIT to hear all about the trip!!
just got a text...woohoo..i bet it's you telling me you're THERE!!
pw
I don't remember Eli looking so little in that pic on the dock. I remember when you first posted it I thought look how big that little man is getting. Can't wait to see the new pics, glad you made some new amazing memories. JG
Post a Comment