Wednesday, October 8, 2014

He Sleeps

I've been waiting to post this for weeks, months, years.  And let's not jump the gun right away.  I sort of am knocking on wood while I type-hoping this is a "forever" and not just "for now" type of thing.


Hugh at nap time

I haven't told my closest friends, my sister or even my mom.

A few weeks ago Andy and I made another appointment at the sleep disorder clinic.  Hugh was getting worse again and we started to feel like we were giving in to him in the wrong way-comforting him at night to help him go back to sleep quickly so he could actually get some sleep.

we first tried a whole bunch of things-putting his bug nightlight IN his crib, unplugging the nightlight in his room, letting him cry for longer spurts of time, not picking him up, sticker chart etc.

And then Andy and I thought we would try something new and simple.  So here is what worked.
We made Hugh repeat the rules.
I'm not sure if this is actually what helped.  But the timing of it matches when he actually started sleeping better.

These are the rules-and I know he is hard to understand.   But it is totally clear to us.  And he usually talks more clear but taking a video is very exciting to him so he starts to talk more quiet and less clear.  And it's all dark because it's right before bedtime and we were rocking in the dark.
Here are the rules
1. No crying
2. No screaming
3. No throwing fits (I didn't have him say this one, because when he says it he can't say the "F" in fits, his F=T, so throwing __its isn't very polite.)
4. If you wake up, turn over and go back to sleep.  THIS one came from Eli and has REALLY really rocked our world.

Short and sweet and he repeats this before every bedtime.


3 comments:

gschneider said...

Aw, this is so cute to hear! Hope it keeps working. Maybe the little guy just need some structure!

Barb said...

OMG. How precious. His little rules. Sweet dreams Mr. Hugh Master. Can you hear your mom's love in her voice?

For the Love of Naps - Sarah said...

woot!
can't believe you didn't tell me about this